Virtual Basic Microsurgery Training Course - Introduction
During 3 days (3 sessions of 3 hours) you will connect with an instructor, Dr. Yelena Akelina, using the Zoom software.
By sharing screens on both your laptop and hers, you will watch, learn and practice a variety of microsurgical techniques.
After you sign up through Invivox, you will get access to the pre-recorded videos that you can watch on your own time and for practice beforehand.
The live sessions will only hold 2-3 students at the same time, so it's a first come first serve basis. We will increase the number of students with time.
The course will consist of 5 modules:
1. Introduction to VMT
2. Setup of the surgical scope
3. Hands positions and posture
4. Basic microsurgical suturing techniques
5. Basic aspects of end-to-end arterial and venous anastomosis
What will you learn?
- Working knowledge of the surgical scope
- Basic hands positions and posture
- Basic microsurgical suturing techniques
- Basic steps for performing of end-to-end arterial and venous anastomosis
Advantages of the procedure
Certificate of Completion issued by Microsurgery Training and Research Laboratory Dept of Orthopedic Surgery Columbia University
Surgeons who want to acquire microsx skills by learning the basic aspects of microsurgery from an expert instructor
What do you need to have before the course?
For those who have access to the lab and surgical microscope:
- The camera attached to the scope on C-mount
- HDMI to USB adapter to connect the video camera on the scope to the laptop for zoom
- All other supplies that listed below
For those who have access to the home lab setup lab:
There are 2 Methods:
1. iPhone/Smartphone with Zoom and WebEx, Holder for the phone, laptop with Zoom
Please watch the video made by Dr. Ignacio Cifuentes (Chile) for the smartphone setup and make sure you try it out a few times before signing up:
2. Digital Microscope (link for purchase below), laptop with Zoom
Please watch the video we made for the pluggable setup and make sure you try it out a few times before signing up: