International Workshop on Unilateral and Bilateral Laryngeal Reinnervation
Organized by the Medical Training Center, Rouen
Prof. Jean-Paul MARIE
November 12th - 13th 2018
MTC, 20 rue Marie Curie, 76000 Rouen
Audience Limited to certified ENT specialists
Monday November 12th
8:00-8:15 Registation (MTC)
8:15-8:30 Introduction. Prof Alain Cribier, Prof Philippe Grise, Prof Laurent Yon, Mr Antoine Boudet, Prof Jean-Paul Marie
8:30-9:00 Talks (Auditorium MTC)
- Anatomy and physiology of the larynx, applied to laryngeal reinnervation (Prof. Aude Lagier, 15’)
- Technique of the non selective unilateral reinnervation (ansa recurrent technique) (Kate Heathcote, 10’)
- Case n°1 presentation (JPM 5’)
9:00-10:45 Surgery from the Operating Room (OR) : Unilateral non selective reinnervation (ansa recurrent technique) Kate Heathcote and Nicolas Bon Mardion (OR), with interaction in MTC : JP Marie, Yakubu Karagama, Prof. Roger Crumley)
10:45-11:00 Café, croissants
11:00-12:00 Talks (Auditorium MTC)
- Prof. Roger Crumley: US experience with ansa recurrent technique (20')
- Rouen experience of the ansa-recurrent technique and indications (JP Marie 10’)
- Ansa-recurrent: UK experience (K Heathcote, Y Karagama 10’)
- Discussion (10’)
- Laryngeal diplegia, etiology, evaluation and LEMG (JP Marie, 10’)
- Case n°2 presentation (JPM 5’)
12:00-13:00 from the OR : Evaluation of diplegia with LEMG before laryngeal reinnervation (JP Marie, N Bon Mardion, Patrick Magnier & Jean Selim). Auditorium of the MTC : Kate Heathcote and Nicolas Bon Mardion.
13:00-14:00 Lunch and discussion (MTC)
14:00-15:15 Talks (Auditorium MTC)
- History and principle of Selective laryngeal reinnervation in bilateral vocal fold paralysis. Synkinesia (Prof Roger Crumley- JP Marie 20 min)
- Anatomy of the hypoglossal branches (ansa and XII TH), Frederic Crampon 15’
- Anatomy and physiology of the phrenic nerve (JP Marie, 15’)
- Technique of Bilateral and selective laryngeal reinnervation (JP Marie 15’)
- Neck dissection (JP Marie, 10’)
15:15-15:30 Groups formation and go to Dissection laboratories (in the MTC)
15:30-18:00 Hands on
Group 1: Cervical anatomy, dissection (MTC). (Aude Lagier, Y Karagama, K Heathcote, F Crampon)
Group 2: Nerves sutures (JP Marie, N Bon Mardion, Ch Maquet).
18:15-19:00 For all : Go back to Auditorium of MTC. Synthesis, discussion and preparation for Friday surgery : Bilateral selective reinnervation
- Nerve sutures (N Bon Mardion, 10’)
- Stem cells for axonal regeneration (N Bon Mardion, 10’))
- Case n°3 presentation (JPM 5’)
20:00 Dinner (Downtown)…
Tuesday 13th of November
8:00-10:30 Hands on
Group 1: Nerve sutures (JP Marie, Ch Maquet)
Group 2: Cervical anatomy, dissection (Yakubu Karagama, F Crampon, K Heathcote, JPM)
10:30-13:00 Auditorium of MTC : from the OR : Bilateral selective reinnervation.
Nerves identification. Intralaryngeal dissection (Nicolas Bon Mardion, Aude Lagier). Auditorium : Kate Heathcote, Yakubu Karagama.
11:00-11:15 Cafe croissants during the procedure
11:00 Anesthesiology for diplegia (Jean Selim, 15’)
11:15-11:45 Patient presentation (unilateral and bilateral reinnervation results with Xion* assistance).
11:45-12:00 Synkinesis (Prof Roger Crumley)
13:00-14:00 Lunch and discussion with surgeons in the OR (Kate Heathcote in MTC)
14:00-16:00 Auditorium of MTC from the OR : Bilateral selective reinnervation.
Nerves sutures (Nicolas Bon Mardion, JP Marie). Auditorium MTC: Kate Heathcote, Aude Lagier, Y Karagama, R Crumley.
- Location of the motor endplates inside the PCA (Aude Lagier, 10’)
- Bilateral reinnervation, results and indications (JP Marie, 20’) +++
- Discussions (30’)
18:15-18:30 Closing remarks
Options for reaching Rouen from Paris:
- By train: you can reach Gare St Lazare by metro (not a direct line, €2) or by taxi (approx. €50) and then take a train to Rouen (approx. €25). There is a departure every hour or so, travel takes around 90min. You will then need a taxi from Rouen station to the hotel (approx. €15).
- Taxi service: a taxi can pick you up at the airport and take you directly to your hotel. Cost is €180 (€360 for a round trip). Travel takes around 90min.
- Renting a car from the airport
Closest recommended hotels:
33 Boulevard Gambetta, 76000 Rouen, France
Located on hospital campus
from 65€ /night
+33 2 35 07 96 96
12 Avenue Aristide Briand, 76000 Rouen, France
5 minutes walk from the University Hospital
from 102€ /night
+ 33 2 35 52 42 32
Angle rue St Nicolas/Rue Croix de Fer, 76000 Rouen, France
15 min walk to the hospital
from 101€ /night
+33 2 35 52 69 52
15 Pl. de la Pucelle, 76000 Rouen, France
Located down town
from 187€ /night
+33 2 35 14 50 50
<p>Excellent workshop and hospitality!!!</p>
<p>Excellent workshop and hospitality!!!</p>
<p>I met all my learning objectives during the course. It was an excellent coursenthat was with my while coming from far away. Thank you! </p>
hope to available WiFi hope to provide the pptx handouts. I'd really appreciate the excellent programme with fantastic faculties.
1- I advice to give each candidate a Manuel or instruction paper what he need to do during the dissection lab. Especially for the cadaver station (which can be a reference for us when we go back home). 2- To have senior instructor to assist the cadaver direction with each group of directors. 3- To have fresh cadavers for all the stations. 4- Improve the quality of food for the lunch break. 5- I stayed in the Mercurr Cathedral which is 20 minutes walk to the venue, however in your site it's written 5 minutes. 6- if possible to keep a map of the location of the venue in the web site to make it reachable to every one
Language, time management
Many thanks to Prof Marie and his team . Excellent course , probably more time in dissection would have helped me
<p>Wonderful course - very well organised and a great group of instructors. Thank you</p>
One of the best and most exhaustive courses I have ever attended. Congratulations and thanks to the entire team especially Prof Marie.
Absolutely outstanding in every way. Beatifully timed and rich in information presented well and with flair. Oh, and the frog legs and champagne at lunch didn't go amiss!
Please send an email with location of the course (and the schedule) few days prior to course. I did not have internet access once I left the hotel and got lost the first day.
Well run course. Long days but appropriately filled
it was a wonderful session . i am so happy to have attended the workshop.learned a lot. continues to learn throgh the whatsapp group. i wish to recommend it to my colleagues
It was an excellent course.
very well organised excellent learning experience
Excellent course with very experienced trainer. Shared a lifetime of experience for the good of other patients. Warm and welcoming atmosphere on the course.
Great course, I would like to visit again next time
I was not happy with practicing nerve suture on live rats. microscope and kit was very poor quality. Everything else was superb.
Many congratulations on conducting a excellent workshop with nice cadaver dissection . Such surgery need a human being like u ,having deep knowledge and be patient while performing nerves surgery of the neck.
Outstanding course that was very well organized. Jean-Paul was a fantastic host and all the instructors were top-notch. Well worth it!
The course was fantastic! The information was detailed and practical. Outstanding!
Phenomenal course! Pr Marie is an innovator and fantastic teacher. Great opportunity to learn and interact with all the course instructors as well as like-minded colleagues.
This was an excellent course. It completely addressed all aspects of the course. The dissection and nerve anastomosis were very helpful. Prof Marie and his other trainer were fantastic. It was also a very friendly meeting. I would highly recommend it. Mark Rafferty
Nice Course and will help me in my practice